HTML Semantics: #a11y in web development
Presented by: Jemima Abu
HTML is, by default, accessible. However, people tend to reinvent the wheel by not using the proper elements for their purposes.
This talk aims to address the inbuilt accessibility features of HTML by using semantic elements and attributes. We will also cover other aspects of accessibility such as navigation and content.
Specific topics discussed include:
- semantic tags such as main, aside, header, footer and others over generic tags like div and span.
- the use and importance of attributes with regards to accessibility.
- including accessibility at every stage in the development of a website (i.e. design to deployment)
- navigational accessibility: is your website 'tab-able'? How easy is it to navigate through the website without using a mouse?
- accessible content: how is information presented? can it be easily seen on all screens or using a screen reader?