Hacking Your Emotional API: Emotional Intelligence in Practice
Presented by: John Sawers, Aaron AldrichTime: Tuesday, Jan. 07, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Being a good developer isn’t just about slinging code; we’re part of a community. Interacting with others in a community means feelings are involved.
But feelings are messy and uncomfortable, so why can’t you just ignore them? Because emotional skills are critical for working well on a team.
You may have heard that emotional intelligence is correlated with career success, but wondered just how to build those skills. In this workshop you will get to practice working with:
* Your API - using the metaphor of an API to understand the foundations of how emotions work
* Observability of ourselves - check in on yourself and better understand what happens below the surface
* Observability of a group - share your state with others
* Inter-Process Communication: emotions and experiences shape your motivations and create blockers for you
* Troubleshooting - When interpersonal communication goes wrong, how to restore relationships and communication to work together again