SAFe, Scrum, and shifting left at a Progressive Insurance
Presented by: Rob Sinkko
Progressive IT knew that the waterfall and agile methods weren't keeping up with the software release cycles. For a new multi-million dollar program, the Claims organization decided not to continue down that path and hope in 3 years that something resembling what they wanted was pushed to production.
The team took a very different approach and used SAFe, Scrum, and shifting left testing to try to develop the claims app.
This session will go into details of how the development teams had to adjust to a totally new way to release software.
Testers, business analysts, project managers, developers, and automation developers all had to greatly alter how they did their work.
Was there growing pains? Oh... plenty. We'll discuss those also.
Some topics discussed:
-How do you go from releasing an app every quarter to every 2 weeks?
- 2 weeks? That's crazy talk? How can we code, test, elevate anything in 2 weeks?!?!?!
- Project Iteration Planning - A intense 2 day forecasting of work for the next 10 weeks
- A flow of how work gets initially discussed, through the planning stage, development, and finally to production (No, it's not that simple.)
- Testing - shifting left, unit/integration/system/acceptance tests, automation testing, QAs altered roles, developers writing far more tests
- Automation - pipelines, git, testing, elevation
- Decoupling the UI from business logic
- and much, much more!